Copa America is just 1 set of group C & D matches away from knockout stages and we here at Sports Dungeon think it is absolutely criminal from us that we haven’t reported about it at all. So here is our views on the western cousin of UEFA Euro Cup.
While the Copa America is yet to conclude, it has already delivered some of its entertaining/shocking moments from the group stages.
Our pick for the Copa America’s most entertaining/shocking moments are:
1) Brazil getting knocked out
2) Messi scoring hatrick in 19 minutes
3) Suarez throwing tantrums at not getting substituted on
- Initially held by goalless by Ecuador, Brazil came back strong as they beat minnows Haiti 7-1. Although in the third game, the five times world cup winner Brazil were shown the door by Peru today. Brazil getting eliminated so early on comes as no surprise as neither did they select their best player Neymar nor their best defender Thiago Silva for the tournament. We guess Dunga was not expecting failure on such a colossal scale. Now, he has to have a decent showing in the Olympics or could very well have to call it a day as manager of Brazil.
- Meanwhile it is looking all sunshine at the moment in the Argentinean camp as they are outplaying opponent after opponent. It looks like Messi is hell bent on proving that he can deliver with the national team too. Continuously ridiculed by fans for playing well only at Barcelona, he scored a hatrick in only 19 minutes as Argentina dismantled Panama 5-1. Although the Argentines have established themselves as favorites to win the tournament, they should be well vary of Mexico who have been on a 19 match unbeaten streak. Also, the defending champions Chile are still in the tournament.
- We are awarding the highlight of the tournament to none other than ‘El Pistolero’ Luis Suarez. Injured in the first match, Suarez was an unused substitute in the second one. When the third substitution took place in the second game for Uruguay, An animated Suarez made a show on the sidelines bashing the dugout and throwing his bib on the ground for not getting called upon instead. We at Sports Dungeon are pretty sure that if allowed on the pitch that day, we could have seen a fourth bite-gate coming. (Good Job Oscar Tabarez! Good Job!)
In the quarter finals USA and Ecuador have booked their date while Peru and Colombia are right next to them. Joining them in the knockouts are Mexico, Venezuela and Argentina. Chile and Panama are about to battle out for the final berth. Who clinches the Copa is yet to be seen.